Monday, March 8, 2010

Sacco

Tonight I finished reading War's End: Profiles from Bosnia 1995 - 96 by Joe Sacco. I read most of this graphic novel a few weeks ago before I moved to a new town and just now got around to picking it up again, but as soon as I opened it I immediately remembered where I'd left off. I find all of Sacco's novels to be that memorable because his story-telling abilities are so great; it's almost like you're watching a movie unfold, and even if you relate to one story more than another they each are uniquely captivating. It's chock full of frightening truths, of people in the midst of chaos who are constantly having to repair themselves and try to live as best as possible. His novels always invoke in me a sense of sympathy for the people in the stories. Most of the goings-on in his novels have happened either slightly before or during my early lifetime, and yet even still the stories seem very much alive. There's so much honesty; he's not hiding anything because it's gory and he's not hiding anything to protect anyone. It's all out in the open, and that is what I like most about Sacco. His artistic skills are incredible as well, but I've mentioned them before and won't go on about it again. Another gem by Sacco. Read it.

OVERALL RATING: 4

1 comment: