Tuesday, March 2, 2010

Graphic Novels Galore

I found this one in my local public library and was intrigued not only because it was not the story of Alice, but because the artwork seemed so intricate and whimsical. I learned that Wonderland (book one in a series of three, written by Tommy Kovac and illustrated by Sonny Liew) is actually published by Disney Press, so many of the characters look quite similar to the Walt Disney interpretation of Lewis Carroll's story in the Disney movie Alice in Wonderland. I thought at first that I would like to have seen things in a non-Disney interpretation, but then I couldn't be too bothered by it because I actually do like older Disney artwork and this particular one is nostalgic for me. It's still got a touch that isn't exactly Disney when it comes to new characters, backgrounds, environments, etc. The story was a fun adventure, and while it included a darker twist, it would still be totally appropriate for children.

OVERALL RATING: 4.5

The cover art on this one has always intrigued me, and it's a graphic novel that I see absolutely everywhere, so I couldn't help but check it out as well. Asterios Polyp by David Mazzucchelli is far from an Alice in Wonderland tale; it's almost entirely realistic in storyline and the art is far less whimsical and more simplified. However, this doesn't mean it's dry! I found this one to be one of my favorite graphic novels to date. While simplified, the artwork still has a very original personality. The way each character is drawn truly lends to the who they are as people and the way they behave. The color palette is limited to a few colors per environment, but each are expertly chosen to feel appropriate for that scene.

I also enjoyed the story as much as I did the art. Asterios Polyp is in interesting man, and you get to watch his life unfold in a way you know he wouldn't have predicted for himself. It's interesting to see the way he handles it, the way he and others around him grow or change based on the situations that occur. I'm a sucker for a good life story (fiction or non) with a pinch of unfortunate happenings, and this fits the bill perfectly.

OVERALL RATING: 5

No comments:

Post a Comment