Monday, March 1, 2010

Back into Graphic Novels

Long time no read! Graduating from college proves incredibly distracting from one's goal of leisure reading. But I'm back on the horse, so away we go!

When I read Mother Come Home, I became an instant fan of the art and storytelling of Paul Hornschemeier. He's honest and dark, and (if possible) does depressing stories well. When I found this small one by him in a nearby comics store, I picked it up quickly and without question. I found that Return of the Elephant is not far from the melancholy mood of Mother Come Home, and in fact may be even more grim. It's "short" but incredibly thought-provoking, and for the faint of heart I don't suggest daring to read it. But it evokes sympathy for a character one would typically feel very repulsed by; it's a mish-mash of feelings after finishing this one, for sure. The art, as always, is tremendously commendable despite the rather sad story. It will make more sense in my graphic novel collection once it gets larger, but for now I'm just going to tuck this one away in a drawer for safe-keeping... hm.

OVERALL RATING: 4

No comments:

Post a Comment