Tuesday, June 16, 2009

Persepolis by Marjane Satrapi

Recently I was researching movies to watch via Amazon.com, and I came across Persepolis. I had no clue what it was about, but the artwork looked amazing so I decided I should rent it. After viewing the movie, which was incredible, I was told that I should read the graphic novels. Quickly I made my way over to the library and did just that.

Persepolis: The Story of Childhood is one incredible journey to say the least. It is the autobiography of Marjane Satrapi, an Iranian born in 1969 who has grown up to see the modern political changes in her hometown Tehran. She witnessed the Iranian Revolution in 1979, among other violent results of an ever-oppressive government. She's so beautifully, and sometimes terrifyingly, honest throughout this tale of her life. It's an incredible story because she and her family perservere no matter what happens in Tehran, and they continuously face terrors with bravery. This is not to say that they are invincible; they are human-- rational but emotional, and they stick to their beliefs as best they can. I learned more about Iran and Iranians than I ever have (although this is just one family). It's horrifying to know what she found out as a little girl. There was grim news always, of friends and family who faced torture and death in opposition to the government, of the public which constantly turned against itself in fear. I can't even come close to imagining what a childhood would have been like in a country so wartorn. To remain so rational and honest as an adult despite the terrible things she knew is truly an amazing feat.

The second book relays the story of her years as a young adult, of being sent abroad to Austria by her family for safety's sake, and of the adventures and misfortunes of growing up. Obviously, she had a more rocky start than many people she came across.

She made friends, she lost friends, she faced the difficulties of puberty, she got to know love and the feeling that comes post-relationship when you find out the person is not as amazing as you once thought, she clung to her love of punk rock but didn't find herself completely able to relate to its culture.

I should probably do less recounting and just say that this story was amazing in both book and movie form. The art was great in both, the story was gripping in both, and it couldn't be more relevant to the current times (because of the resulting havoc of a recently staged election by the current Iranian government). I hope the near future holds good change for the Iranian people and I think you, whoever you are, should definitely read both graphic novels and watch the movie. And also read the news if you don't know what's going on in Iran. Awareness is important! DO IT!

No comments:

Post a Comment