Sunday, July 5, 2009

One! Hundred! Demons! by Lynda Barry

A lot of the graphic novels I've picked out to read have to do with someone's life, the present as they're writing the story and the past events of childhood that formed them. I don't know why this kind of thing appeals to me most, but I've begun to wonder if it's therapeutic in some way. They had it harder than you at times, they had it better than you at times; either way it's a miracle that they can remember so much of their lives and transfer it onto paper in a captivating way. I envy them in that much.

Today's graphic novel was One! Hundred! Demons! by Lynda Barry, and I have to say I enjoyed it! Her drawing style and storytelling was informal, playful, and funny. It wasn't quite the long, heartbreaking life story that some graphic novels turn out to be, but alongside her hardships resided a good sense of humor that made it worth reading. Try it, you might like it!

No comments:

Post a Comment