Wednesday, May 6, 2009

I Me Mine by George Harrison

I've done a lot of reading and documentary-viewing on the Beatles, particularly George. When I found out that there was a book actually written by George himself I couldn't help but get my hands on it. Once I borrowed it and realized the large size wasn't something I immediately had time for, it sat on my desk for a few months before I got around to opening it. However I quickly learned that even though it's a rather gigantic book there really isn't that much reading to it. So, onward.

Part One is an interesting section because he, and notes recalled by Derek Taylor, give you glimpses into aspects of George's Beatle and non-Beatle life up until the time when he is writing the book in 1980. It's a shame that it wasn't more elaborate as a whole; the stories are very condensed. But you learn through this book (and through various other writings or videos on him, if you've ever come across any) that George didn't treat things elaborately and at least the tale, however short, is from his perspective rather than an outsider writer's. My favorite part was when he discussed the Concert for Bangladesh and complained about the poor quality of its filming. Also, he had said that if anyone featured in the concert didn't like the film or record, they could be taken out of it because "I didn't want them to end up not being my friends after all that." Apparently, even if you've been a Beatle you can still be a decent human being who cares for friends, and about people in the world who need help, who is also into leading a quiet life and gardening. I like that.

Part Two is filled with bits and quips on songs he has written over his lifetime. The lyrics are all there (hand-written and typed), which I confess that I didn't read through. I did read all the notes he wrote on the songs, but for anyone wanting to know all the lyrics I'm sure it's nice to have on record in one place. One story I particularly liked was about Savoy Truffle, in which he said "Savoy Truffle is a funny one written whilst hanging out with Eric Clapton in the sixties. At that time he had a lot of cavities in his teeth and needed dental work. He always had a toothache but he ate a lot of chocolates-- he couldn't resist them and once he saw a box he had to eat them all." I feel the same way, Eric Clapton. I really do.

It was funny at times because while I was reading I'd be thinking "He's very witty, and dry" and then all of the sudden there would be a chunk with complex religious explanation and I wouldn't know at all what he was saying. For an uncomplicated person, he was very religiously complicated. That isn't an insult, since he wasn't an awful kind of religious person who perpetuated the 'this way is right or go to hell' type belief; he was very inspired by his beliefs, and so even when I feel totally distanced from him as a reader during religious parts I still respect him incredibly for it.

Oh yes, and there are pictures. So if you like George Harrison as much as I do, I would suggest that you try this book sometime. I'm only giving it a 4 for a rating because I'm greedy and wanted more stories from it!

No comments:

Post a Comment